- What is Shariah or Shariah Islamic law?
- How is Shariah related to Radical Islam?
- Do all Muslims want to live under Shariah law?
- What are some examples of Shariah law?
- Who is the Muslim Brotherhood?
- What tactics are used to implement this strategy?
- What are some examples of creeping Shariah?
- What is Shariah-Compliant Finance or Islamic Banking?
- What is the Arabic term for Shariah Finance?
- How does Shariah define “charity” or “Zakat”?
- If we are funding terrorism when we fill our cars up with gas, are we also funding terrorism by managing this oil wealth in a Shariah-compliant way?
- Who are these “Shariah Authorities” who sit on bank boards directing where and how Middle East oil wealth is invested?
- Who is Sheik Yusuf Al-Qaradawi?
- Who is Mufti Muhammad Taqi Usmani?
- Who is Imran Ashraf Usmani?
- Who is Yusef Talal De Lorenzo?
- How do firms like Citibank, UBS, Barclays, HSBC, AIG, and Blackstone describe Shariah banking?
- Aren’t claims of “interest free,” “ethical,” and “socially acceptable” false advertising and fraudulent?
- Is Congress concerned about this?
- What can I do to help?
Shariah Law: It's Mission and Global Strategy
Implementing Shariah Law: Tactics and Examples
Shariah-Compliant Finance (SCF)
Leading Shariah Scholars
Major Issues and Criticism of Shariah Finance
Shariah is Islamic law and represents the traditional or “pure” normative interpretation of the Qur’an and teachings of Mohammed, as developed by Shariah scholars and jurists during Islam’s early centuries. It has remained largely unchanged for over 1200 years and is practiced today in these areas:
- Saudi Arabia, Iran, Sudan
- Recognized as the supreme law of the land in almost all Arab regimes (although not always put into practice)
- Afghanistan and the Swat region of Pakistan, under Taliban control
- Parts of Nigeria, Indonesia, and Somalia
- As of January 2009, Hamas-controlled Gaza strip
- Al-Qaeda radicals practicing terrorism
Implementing Shariah is the agenda of what is often termed Radical Islam or Political Islam. Shariah-driven Islam is a political movement much like communism, in that “true” Muslims are required to relinquish all control of personal, business, family, and religious life to the rulings of Shariah “authorities” (the ‘ulema’ who act as legislators, judges, and law enforcement) in the service of this totalitarian political order. The goal is to wage Jihad (cultural, financial, or violent) to create a one world order, united under Islam, where Church and State are one.
No. Newspapers report bloody struggles in Turkey, Indonesia, Pakistan, Thailand, Egypt, and Jordan between secular liberty-minded Muslims and theocratic Shariah militants. However, as Shariah Islam expands its reach worldwide, polls suggest increasing support for enforcing strict application of Shariah law in Islamic countries: 65% of Egyptians, 76% of Pakistanis, and 49% of Indonesians (www.worldpublicopinion.org). Yet Shariah law silences nearly 750 million women and children.
The Reliance of the Traveller, Classic Manual of Islamic Sacred Law is the authoritative Sunni Shariah rulebook (available at www.Barnesandnoble.com).
- Offensive, military Jihad is a religious obligation.
- Inferior status for all non-Muslims (“dhimma”).
- Capital punishment for slandering Islam.
- Capital punishment for apostasy (leaving Islam).
- Women may not leave the house without husbands’ permission; beating disobedient women, polygamy, forced child marriage, and stoning of adulterers are permitted.
- Slavery is legal.
- Lying (taqiyya) to infidels is permitted.
- Capital punishment for homosexuals and lesbians.
The Muslim Brotherhood (MB) was formed in the 1920s by Shariah advocates to create a one-world nation-state under Shariah Islamic law. Today, they are in 70+ countries. The Brotherhood works hand-in-hand with the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC), a 57-member Muslim-majority block in the UN. Their 1982 plan to invade and conquer the West was discovered in Nov. 2001 (see Patrick Poole’s article at www.frontpagemag.com)
Below are some of the tactics recommended in the Muslim Brotherhood’s “Project” (see the English translation in Patrick Poole’s article in www.frontpagemag.com):
- Inflaming violence while appearing ‘moderate’
- Inciting hatred against Jews
- Monitoring western media
- Making alliances with western “progressives”
- Establishing financial networks to fund conversion
- Collecting funds to support global jihad
- Who are these Shariah Authorities or Advisors?
Only Shariah authorities (the ‘ulema’) can issue fatwas or legal rulings and only they can interpret Shariah. As Shariah authorities, they authorize, direct, and condone Jihad actions. The mandate that “true” Muslims carry out their fatwas ensures that these authorities can distance themselves from actual acts of terror. Recent fatwas by Shariah authorities resulted in a) the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, b) rioting following the publication of the Danish Mohammad cartoons, and c) the attacks in New York (Sep. 2001), London (Jul. 2007), Madrid (Mar. 2004), and Mumbai (Jan. 2009).
“Creeping Shariah” refers to the incremental adoption of Shariah, in which a single example seems harmless, but taken together, represents a pattern of intention.
No-Go Zones. 751 no-go zones in France where police have turned over control to “religious enforcement” following threats of violence. Girls without Islamic clothing have reportedly been raped. Non-Muslim citizens are urged to stay out. Zones exist in Denmark, the Netherlands, and the UK.
Shariah Courts. 2008: Official recognition of five courts in the UK and one in Texas, USA, with lobbying to create greater legitimization and authority in Minnesota, New Jersey, and California. The intent is to set up parallel courts, in lieu of secular courts and their judgments, in family and business law.
Assault on Freedom of Speech. Feb. 2009: Dutch Parliamentarian Geert Wilders prosecuted for hate speech for his 15-minute film, Fitna.
Books Destroyed. July 2007: Cambridge University Press destroyed its print run of Alms for Jihad: Charity and Terrorism in the Islamic World in reaction to Saudi threats of a slander lawsuit.
Children’s Rights. Mar. 2008: UK reports epidemic of forced child marriages. 2008: Texas father murders teenage daughters for adopting a Western lifestyle.
Women’s Rights. 2008: Successful lobbying for polygamy in Canada and UK; Holland recognizes polygamous marriages. 2009: Buffalo NY, USA. Muslim leader decapitates his wife after she filed for divorce. Honor killing is justified under Shariah law.
Saudi Hate Curriculum. The Islamic Saudi Academy (ISA) in Virginia, remains open, despite reports of hate-filled curricula, according to the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom.Shariah (also “Shari’a”) Finance is a powerful economic tool of Political Islam, disguised as a harmless religious method of investing for Muslims. Western investment firms like Citigroup, HSBC, Dow Jones, UBS, and AIG have created Islamic banks within their corporate structures, hiring Shariah Authorities or Imams to manage this new entity with full discretion. Their ultimate goal is to create a global Islamic nation (umma) wherein both Muslims and non-Muslims are under Islamic sovereignty. These Shariah “scholars” use all forms of Jihad (aggressive and stealth) to further their goal. Shariah Finance is the most insidious and effective form of stealth Jihad.
Al-Jihad bi-al-Mal, which literally means Jihad with money (mal, Arabic for money) or Financial Jihad.
There are 8 categories of Zakat (Arabic for charity) according to Shariah, all of which are meant to build allegiance to Islam worldwide. While four of these categories help the poor, the others support Jihad. The 7th category of Zakat is defined in the Reliance of the Traveler, the Classic Manual of Islamic Sacred Law (Umdat Al-Salik), p. 272, as follows:
“those fighting for Allah, meaning people engaged In Islamic military operations for whom no salary has been allotted in the army, or volunteers for Jihad without remuneration. They are given enough to suffice them for the operation, even if affluent: of weapons, mounts, clothing, and expenses.”
This explains why the U.S. Government has classified 27 Islamic charities as terror organizations, with the Holy Land Foundation in Dallas, Texas the most recently convicted of financing terror-jihad (2008). These charities have innocuous-sounding names like Union of Good, and Benevolence International Foundation, and Care International.
Yes. Depositing our money with banks and companies that sell Shariah Investments is giving these firms capital to grow their Shariah businesses overseas, which is, in turn, used to direct oil money to destroy America’s constitutional republic, liberty, values, and way of life.
Here are four of the most sought-after “Shari’a Authorities” in the industry, all of whom are highly paid to sit on individual corporate bank Shariah Advisory Boards. Each also sits on the AAOIFI (Accounting and Auditing Organization for Islamic Financial Institutions) Board, an international body that parallels western regulatory agencies. Incredibly, the SEC embraced the legitimacy and members of the AAOIFI.
Boards: AAOIFI; Bank Al-Taqwa (shut down 2001 by U.S. TSY for terror funding)
- Considered one of the most respected Shariah Authorities and Shariah Finance experts
- Terrorist banned from US (1999) and UK (2008)
- Supports suicide bombings, no rights for women, Islamic supremacy, and Jihad
- De facto leader of the Muslim Brotherhood
- Urged replacing western capitalism with Shariah Finance, Oct. 2008
- Described Shariah Finance as "Jihad with Money," BBC, 2006
- Referred to 6 times during a Feb. 26, '09 Fordham Law School Continued Education Credit Conference on Islamic Finance
Quotable Quotes: "Allah Almighty is just; through his infinite wisdom he has given the weak a weapon the strong do not have, and that is their ability to turn their bodies into bombs as Palestinians do."
“The most important form of jihad today….is to rebuild Islamic society and state….in the political, cultural and economic domains. This is certainly most deserving of Zakat.”
Boards: Chairman of AAOIFI; HSBC, Dow Jones, Citigroup, Guidance Financial
- The single most influential Shariah authority on Shariah finance in the world
- Founder and Director of Jamia Uloom madrassa, 2nd largest in Pakistan, which "boasts close ties to the Taliban" according to International Crisis Human Rights Group
- Deobandi Cleric to the Taliban, 2001
- Calls for western Muslims to wage violent Jihad against non-Muslims, whether or not Western countries allow Islam to be freely practiced
Quotable Quote: Usmani writes “Killing is to continue until the unbelievers pay jiziah (a subjugation tax) after they are humbled or overpowered.” (Islam and Modernism, 2006)
Boards: AAOIFI; AIG, HSBC, Citigroup
- Educated at and currently teaches at Jamia Uloom Madrassa, a well-known Jihadist school, with this father, Muhammad Taqi Usmani
- Banks are replacing Taqi Usmani with his son, Imran, as Dad's Jihadist background is publicized
Boards: AAOIFI; IFSB, Barclays Capital, Shariah Capital, Dow Jones, Guidance International
- American convert to Islam
- Dropped out of Cornell and educated at Darul Uloom Madrassa in Pakistan, the same madrassa founded by Sheik Usmani
- Advisor to Pakistan President Zia al-Haq 1981–1984 during creation of Taliban
- Director of Education for the Islamic Saudi Academy, which is condemned for its hate curricula by the Congress-appointed U.S. Commission on Religious Freedom
- Secretary of FCNA, where fellow Trustee and President of FCNA is in prison for funding al-Qaeda and/or co-conspirator in terrorism trial
- Coined the term "ethical" as a better description than "Shari’a" for Western bankers to understand
The marketing materials of these firms focus on two seemingly harmless details of “Islamic” investing 1) limited "interest income" and 2) un-Islamic banned “sin” industries of alcohol and gambling. Therefore, investment firms describe Shariah finance as “interest-free,” “ethical,” and “socially responsible” investing.
AIG: The Introduction of Takaful (Shariah insurance) products in the U.S. represents.…emerging growth opportunity for AIG Commercial Insurance. We are pleased to offer socially responsible solutions….to the domestic market.” (AIG Press Release, 2008)
HSBC: Amana Takaful Fund: “ We invest in assets…that are acceptable within the socially and environmentally acceptable principles of Shariah….managed through the…ethical principles of Shariah.” (www.hsbcamanah.com, Feb 2009)
BLACKSTONE: “Blackstone Shariah Finance presents you with an ethical alternative” (http://www.black-stone.co.uk/test/Shariah_finance.html, April 2009)
Yes. There is no disclosure about these issues:
- the definition of Zakat includes the clothing and feeding of terrorists and other expenses of Jihad;
- the connection between Shariah, Jihad, the Taliban, and Iran;
- the numerous other “un-Islamic Industries” for which Shariah investment is forbidden, including: products or construction that benefits Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Protestantism, or any other non-Islamic religion; any project that promotes equal rights for women or gays; and Western defense industries, books, films, TV, and radio.
- Shariah authorities’ commitment to world dominance and Jihad, even against liberty-minded Muslims;
- Shariah-compliant investments are complicated but legal "derivatives" that re-label "interest income" as "rents" or "profits." The Obama administration has labeled "derivatives" as "toxic assets." These instruments triggered the economic collapse of 2008 and created the need for the taxpayer-funded $3 trillion of bank bailout.
Yes. Leaders include Congresspersons Sue Myrick, Frank Wolf, Paul Broun, and Tom Tancredo and Senator Jon Kyl.
Quotable Quotes: Myrick/Wolf to AIG CEO, Dec. 08: "you may defend your decision to offer Shariah products and will probably state that they have no real ties to Shariah Law, and therefore, pose no threat. You are wrong. "
Join ACT! for America, a grassroots organization (56,000 members in 260 chapters) dedicated to focusing Congress on Islamic extremism in America.